Monday, May 13, 2013

A Challenge and Something to Think About


 "Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.  Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.” Mark 12:41-44

I recently read this passage in Mark. The story at-a-glance is that of a widow who gave a very sacrificial offering. This in itself is an amazing act of love to God. Jesus pointed her out to his disciples and not the rich who were giving large amounts.  Why did Jesus point her out instead of those giving large amounts? I believe that he did because of her very sacrificial offering. The passage says that many rich people were giving, but Jesus saw that she, in particular, was giving out of her poverty.

The thought then struck me, Jesus was pleased with her because she gave out of her poverty.

In the 21st century, when we think of poverty, we usually first think of economical poverty. Sometimes as I read passages in scripture regarding money, I can be tempted to think that I can not give out of poverty because I am not “poor.”
   
      Another thought then struck me, “What am I poor in?” Maybe not in finances, but maybe I am lacking in time and energy or maybe I do not want to get out of my comfort zone.

I believe that when we give out of our poverty, God is pleased as we saw in the story of the widow. Let me challenge you to think and pray about how you can give out of your poverty. It may not be comfortable or easy, but pleasing God can yield in great rewards.     

No comments:

Post a Comment